This past Thursday I had my first experience at the school where I'll be helping teach English this year, I.E.S. Alba Longa in Armilla. At 11:00am I made the commute from Granada to Armilla for a brief meet-and-greet with my boss, a woman named Lourdes Soto Páez. She's both one of the directors of the bilingual program and one of the school's English teachers.
This is my commute to work every day; it only takes about 30 minutes to get from door to door!
I arrived at the school just as the morning break was ending; luckily, I didn't have to loiter about at the main gate for very long because all of the teachers were returning from having coffee. They were able to let me into the building and help me find Lourdes. She's very nice; we spoke mostly in English about the school, the bilingual program, my future responsibilities, etc. (she wanted me to know that I'm going to speak very little Spanish while at the school, esp. with the students!) The school is basically the Spanish equivalent of a middle/high school and the students are aged 12-18. I'll be working with the students in the first and second year of the bilingual program, the equivalent of 7th and 8th grade. These students have half of their classes in English and the other half in Spanish. I'll be working in the technology, science, math, physical education and English classes, all of which are taught in English. My schedule still isn't set yet, but I'll most likely work 4 hours a day, Monday-Thursday, both in the classroom with the students and out of the classroom with the teachers, helping them plan, practice their English, etc. For next Friday, my first day of "teaching," I have to prepare a PowerPoint presentation about myself, my friends and family, my hometown, my interests, etc. After I introduce myself, we'll do activities about the students themselves, their families, hobbies, etc. I'm pretty excited to start! Below is an aerial shot of the school:
The school is highlighted in red. My bus stop is located at the rotary, right next to the school. What luck!
Lourdes took me on a brief tour of the school and I met lots of the other teachers, including those with whom I'll be working this year. Everyone was really friendly and seemed eager that I begin working with them. I met the secretaries and headmaster and received keys to both the front gate and language teachers' lounge. I should be all set to go for next Friday and just have to prepare my presentation! Overall, I'm really excited about working at I.E.S. Alba Longa and I think it's going to be a great experience :)
Later that night, Ana, John and I met up with some of the other students from GRIIS at a bar for karaoke. The place was packed but we still managed to sing a few great songs before heading over to another bar for some (free!) drinks and more dancing and singing. At 4:00am, we finally returned home because the others had a trip to Madrid at 7:00am the next day... next time I'm sure we'll all make our way over to a discoteca, instead :) I really need to acclimate myself to being out so late on the weekends (and Wednesdays... and Thursdays...)! I'd forgotten just how different the Spanish "schedule" is from the one back home! At home, bars and clubs all close around 2:00am; here, you don't go out until at least 10:00pm and don't even think about going to a club until at least 2:00 or 3:00am! The next afternoon, Friday the 24th, Ana and I went to Padul for the town's feria, a festival with lots of delicious food, dancing, vendors, contests, activities, carnival rides, etc. We were out until 3:30am, dancing, drinking, riding the rides... it still amazes me how EVERYONE stays out late in Spain, from the most elderly to the youngest of children (a.k.a. babies), too. When we went home for chocolate con churros, practically the whole town continued dancing and drinking. I asked what time the festivities usually ended and got the answer, "What do you mean, end? Everyone will be here until 6am or 7am tomorrow morning! And then at 9:30am there'll be breakfast!" Silly me, what was I thinking asking that question? Oh Spain, you know how to party unlike anywhere else :) It looks like I'd really better get accustomed to taking a daily siesta!
After such a busy weekend, I'm pooped. I really didn't do much today but lounge around the house. Tomorrow through Tuesday I have CIEE orientation in Sevilla... I don't really feel much like going, but oh well... it's just two days!


Jaajjajaja, me alegro de que te hayas readaptado tan rápido :D
ReplyDeleteYa eres casi una española.
Espero de verdad que nos veamos pronto.
Besos!!