Located just an hour drive from the coast (Costa Tropical), Granada also sits at the foot of the Sierra Nevada mountain range. This unique location makes it possible to both ski and swim on the same day... a fact that Granada is famous for! The city is the capital of the province Granada and it's part of the autonomous community of Andalucía. Granada's population fluctuates, what with it being a largely student-populated city, and it's measured anywhere from 250,000-350,000. (Students, both Spanish and foreign, make up between 20-25% of the city's total population!) It's also located near the cities of Sevilla and Málaga and it's within a 4 hours drive of Madrid. Granada has a great climate that ranges from a sunny Mediterranean summer to rain and moderate temperatures in the winter.
Granada has a rich and fascinating history. The city had been settled by moors for almost eight centuries when it was the last Moorish town to be conquered by the Christians (Los Reyes Católicos, Isabella and Ferdinand) in 1492. The city's important Arab roots are still very visible, especially in famous monuments like the Alhambra and Generalife (Moorish fortress and palace) or the Albaicín, a beautiful neighborhood that contains a mixture of typical Mujahardín and Spanish architecture.
As you all already know, I studied abroad in Granada from early January-late May in 2009 and I have just 75 more days until I'm back! I bought my plane tickets last week- I'm flying BOS-MAD-GRX with Iberia on Saturday, September 18th. I can't wait! I have my appointment at the Spanish consulate in NYC coming up... hopefully that goes well and without a hitch! Wish me luck...
Entonces nos volvemos a ver en Granada, ¿no?
ReplyDelete¡Por supuesto! Llego en diez semanas… ¡qué ganas! Y tú Jose, ¿qué haces el año que viene? ¿Te quedarás en Granada o ya has hecho otros planes?
ReplyDelete