Un limonero en Granada.

Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmastime in Granada

¡Feliz Nochebuena!

Merry Christmas Eve, everyone! It's hard to believe (at least for me, anyways) that it's already December 24th! This month has flown by and it's been probably the busiest month that I've had here in Granada since arriving in the middle of September. With my big trip to Barcelona and Valencia at the beginning of the month, followed by lots of lessons about Christmas, New Years, etc. with my students at Alba Longa followed by another trip to Sevilla, I've been constantly on-the-go this December! Furthermore, last weekend all the GRIIS students abroad in Granada for the fall semester returned home to the States. We spent quite a lot of time together over the past few weeks taking advantage of their last days in Spain. Most of the students left on Saturday and John left on Sunday; it was really sad to see him go! I really enjoyed spending time with my "roommate" these past three months and the apartment has been a lot quieter since he left! Luckily, yesterday both Anais and Cristina came back to Granada for the start of Christmas vacation and I love having both my "sisters" at home with me again.

After three months of teaching, I'm happy to report that I still love my job! Every morning I look forward to going to work and to spending the day at IES Alba Longa with my coworkers and students. The students continue to be great and eager to speak English with me in and out of the classroom. This past month, we had many activities and lessons relating to Christmas in the USA and American New Years traditions as well as winter holiday and New Year celebrations around the world. For my last English class with each grade, I made a PowerPoint presentation about American Christmas traditions and made a playlist on my iPod with popular Christmas carols. They were curious about Rudolph and mistletoe and enjoyed listening to the carols- some students already knew how to sing the choruses!

I've really made some wonderful friends among my coworkers and I feel like a member of yet another family here in Spain. Everyone has told me that I need to find either a permanent job or a Spanish boyfriend so that I can stay next year... I've been telling them that I'll see what I can do! This Tuesday I celebrated the onset of the Christmas and the holiday vacation with my coworkers at a very nice lunch here in Granada. We met at Damasqueros, a restaurant about a 20 minutes' walk away from my apartment, at 3:00pm. I didn't return home that night until close to 1:00am! We enjoyed appetizers, wine, a main course and dessert in the restaurant before heading to various bars in the city for more tapas and drinks. It was so much fun to spend the entire day outside of the school with everyone that I work with! We spent the afternoon and evening talking, joking, dancing and exchanging stories together, happy and content with the start of Christmas. At lunch, I was surprised with a gift from everyone- a beautiful purse and a certificate for being "the best language assistant." I gave a little speech thereafter, saying how content I am with the job and how I love spending time in and out of the school with my coworkers who have become family. It was a great evening and a wonderful, fun way to start Christmas break!

Granada is absolutely lovely at Christmastime. I walked around the city one night a few weeks ago with my friend Liz and we were able to take some great pictures of all the lights and decorations around the city. Here are a few of my favorites:

Plaza Bib-Rambla.
Plaza del Carmen.
El Ayuntamiento de Granada (City Hall).
Puerta Real.
Reindeer and angels by the Fuente de las Batallas.
Fuente de las Batallas.
A large, lit-up Belén (nativity scene) in a small plaza.
In a few hours, I'll be heading over to Ana's mother's house in Padul with Ana, Cristina and Anais to celebrate Christmas Eve with my Spanish family. We'll have a big dinner, listen to Christmas carols and spend the entire evening enjoying each others' company. While I miss my family and friends so much, I'm very excited to be here in Spain this year for Christmas! I've never spent this time of year outside of the United States before and I'm eager to experience Spain's Christmas and New Year traditions! So, Christmas Eve this year will be in Padul and Christmas Day back here in Granada. On Sunday, just about all of my Spanish friends (and one of my German friends, too!) will be back in the city to spend a few days together. I can't wait to see them all again- some I haven't seen since I was abroad in the spring of 2009! On the 31st, I will head up to Madrid to spend New Year's Eve and New Year's Day in the city with Juanpe, one of my best friends here in Spain, and Simon, our friend from Germany. On January 3rd, Juanpe and I will take a bus to Lorca, a town in the region of Murcia, to spend a week with his family, including Three Kings Day. Then, sometime on the 7th or 8th of January, I'll return to Granada for the last few days of Christmas break before school starts up again on Monday the 10th. It's going to be a very busy Christmas break but I'm very excited for everything that I have planned :)

To my friends and family back home in the States, I hope that you have a very merry Christmas and a very happy and healthy New Year. I love you all and will be thinking of you- I can't wait to be with you all again! A mis amigos y familia aquí en España, ¡qué ganas tengo de pasarlo muy bien esta Navidad con todos vosotros! ¡Felices fiestas, os quiero mucho!

Once again, merry Christmas Eve, everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Looks like you`re having a great time in Granada. Merry Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. merry christmas to you, too, jose! ¿cuándo nos vemos de nuevo? ¿este finde con los demás?

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm... I'll see what I can do... who have you taken that from?? :P hahahaha The one who was making the joke all the time is not here so you have to replace him :P:P

    ^^

    ReplyDelete